Sunday 21 June 2015

Laundry Loveliness

I'm going to admit I'm not a great fan of housework; I know it's the thing to be embracing housework as an empowering thing but for me no matter what I try, this approach eludes me.
I should say here, that doesn't mean my house is a pit of filth and dirt; I do clean but not with joy in my heart but with resignation that this needs to be done.

However, I have found that some things do help make it less of a burden.

Cheerful tools, sweeping rather than vacuuming and making my own cleaning products.

Today it was the turn of the laundry liquid.  
Now considering the adverts on television you would think this needed a chemical lab, umpteen exotic ingredients and various cartoon characters singing as you make it - a sort of 1950's housewife version of Walt Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Well no; actually it's incredibly simple and requires 4 ingredients of which one is tap water.

 Yep that's right, grated soap, washing soda crystals, borax and tap water.

 You add 1 cup of grated soap toe 1 1/2 litres of water and then gently heat until the soap dissolves.

 Next you add 1/2 cup of borax

 and 1/2 cup of washing soda crystals

You take them off the heat and stir them all together until they are dissolved and the mixture begins to thicken.  At this point I add any fragrance I want to put in; usually something fresh such as lime or floral like lavender.

You should end up with about 1.8 litres of liquid.
 I then divide this between my six 1.5 litre bottles, so that ends up with 300ml (0.3l) in each bottle. 
I then top up the bottles with tap water to get the right dilution.

And so there you have it - 9 litres of laundry liquid.
and the recipe?  Well Rhonda of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment