Monday 21 April 2014

The Rightness of Spring



Well here I am and welcome to my new blog on a new host.

I’ve changed the name of my blog as the old one (deconstructed smallholding) had passed its purpose and my life has changed considerably (in a good way I like to think) since I started it.  So here I am at ‘Always Coming Home’.  I chose this name as it’s the title of Ursula Le Guins’ wonderful book – an archaeology of a society living in a possible future in a valley in what would be present day California.  I love this book; the evocative and imaginative prose; the mixture of poetry, stories, cultural exploration… I really can’t do justice to it but it resonates and has been a firm favourite for over 20 years now.  

I also thought how perfectly I feel about my life and home now.  At the ripe age of 50 I feel I am coming home to myself and my life as I want to lead it. Simply, sustainably and mindfully.  I feel hugely grateful for the opportunity and I want to make the most of it.  I want our home to be warm, creative, welcoming and happy.  I want to be able to express the joy I feel at creating something rather than buying it, at learning new skills, at growing food and at using money as a possible ingredient in creating a solution rather than as a solution in its own right.

It is (as they say in such a cringe making way on some TV talent shows) a journey.  I know at times I will stumble, sometimes fall, find paths that are hard or easy or damned impossible; I know I will have to change course sometimes and completely rethink destinations or courses but that doesn’t matter because I will be learning and living and hopefully growing in a loving home; and what more, as humans, could we possibly ask for?

So I’m sitting here in the summer house on a sunny April day, looking at the garden all glowing and green and thinking ‘thank the gods it’s spring!’  And to celebrate here are some moments of loveliness from the garden.







A glorious array of spring flowers, including the lovely apple tree finally free of its pot after 4 years and reveling in having  a garden to grow in.

No comments:

Post a Comment